It's the Little Things

Despite arriving home at 8:25pm, after spending a full day traffic-copping, tour-directing, hand-holding, babysitting, playing fetch, performing damage control and all other manner of things that constitute the job description of a Chief Legislative Aide in the Florida Legislature, today has been a pretty good day. It's the little things that count, and there were three such things worth noting today.

Thing One: Mr. Earnest was my legislative shuttle van driver this morning. I remember him from my first stint in the legislature; but I was not sure he would remember me. It has been more than ten years since I first met Mr. Earnest, and he sees thousands of faces every session. I've always liked Mr. Earnest. He is a nice man with a shy smile but a quick "good morning" for all the weary souls who travel to the Capitol on the early morning shuttles. He knows everything about plants and flowers and I swear he has the direct-connect to Mother Nature. He can call a cold snap or a rainy day faster than Jim Cantore can sensationalize an area of disturbed weather located 400 miles off the coast of the Leeward Islands. Mr. Earnest made my morning when he said he was glad to see me back at the Capitol; he made me laugh out loud when he asked how many "dish gardens" I had already killed this Session. A fantastic start to a frantic Tuesday.

Thing Two: In a lot of places around the globe, spring arrives with nary a mention. Not so in Tallahassee. In the Capital City, the vernal equinox is heralded by a colorful explosion of blooming azaleas, petunias, pansies, daffodils and dogwoods. Oh, the dogwoods. They are so beautiful with their velvety white flowers that make me so happy! Spring is such a big deal in Tallahassee that "they" have created a festival to celebrate the season. The official
event occurs on March 31st, but today I was overcome by Springtime Tallahassee. I had to escape the Capitol, if only for lunch (a treat in itself...) I persuaded my boss to join me for lunch at Paradigm, located just two blocks from the Capitol, but a glorious ten-minute walk (each way!) in the warm springtime sunshine. Feeling positively restored by the lovely fresh air, a brief respite from the vortex and a yummy Fiesta Chicken Wrap, I wondered, "what could possibly ruin this afternoon?" Nothing, as it turns out.

Thing Three: A shocking, amazing, exciting turn of events in the Junior League of Fort Myers. Thanks, Ashley! I love you. Enough said.

Tomorrow promises to be another grueling day. Hopefully I'll have FOUR good things to write about tomorrow night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Wasn't Part of the Plan

Our Little Skater Boy

For Ed