The Tropical Storm That Wasn't

It's all over. Actually, it was over before it even started. Tropical Storm Barry, the area of "disturbed weather" that sent The Weather Channel team into a frantic twirl of giddiness on Friday, limped across Florida today with so little oomph that all weather warnings were cancelled before the squall even made landfall. Whew! Dodged that bullet!

All kidding aside, I'm hoping all of the "tropical systems" we experience this season will be rainmakers a la "Tropical Storm" Barry and not horrific monsters like Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne, Katrina, Rita and Wilma. That list is already too long.

Barry dumped more than 7 inches of much-needed rain on the Sunshine State, dousing rampant wildfires, clearing the atmosphere of the acrid smoke, and drowning the exceptionally large swarms (and when I say "swarms," I mean SWARMS!) of lovebugs that have invaded Florida during the past three weeks.

Closer to home, the rainshowers lovingly nourished our gorgeous, lush landscaping and my newly-planted herb garden. I may be just a wee bit crazy, but I SWEAR I heard our thick carpet of Bermuda grass singing a chorus of Halleluia and I just KNOW my herbs are greener and more perky since the rainshowers. Let's hope they stay happy - I can't wait to make like Ina Garten and Giada DiLaurentis and snip fresh herbs from my own kitchen garden for use in my culinary adventures. Yummy yummy yummy! Plus, Peegie says when I "get good at the gardening thing" I can dig up a plot of our backyard and plant all manner of vegetables. Oh Happy Day! A true kitchen garden! Oh, the tomatoes, the beans, the squash, the eggplant, the peppers, the watermelon...my Grandmama will be so proud! Of course, then, she will have to give me a refresher course in canning and freezing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Wasn't Part of the Plan

Our Little Skater Boy

For Ed